Friday, March 27, 2015

The Rain, The Park and Other Things...

No, this is not a blog about the tune from the Cowsills by the same title... I just find it's a good way to describe what I'm getting at with this entry. It's also a very catchy tune, so... yeah...
Seriously... listen to it... It's an earworm...

But back to the subject at hand...

The college life...
At the beginning of this month, I had to undergo surgery to remove my gal bladder. Doesn't that sound like fun...?! If it does... you need serious help... Actually, in some ways, I was looking forward to getting it done. I had suffered for close to a year with being unable to eat a lot of foods without getting physically sick. By the end even chicken broth and crackers were turning my stomach. Thankfully, the surgery has helped somewhat. It will still be some time before I can eat everything again, but at least I can eat real food that isn't in liquid or cracker form. My stomach is certainly rejoicing...
Sadly, I was also in a lot more pain than anticipated, which caused a problem I didn't foresee. Because my college provides an accelerated program, I have one class a month, which means that all assignments are due within a week. I had considered asking for an extension during that first week due to my surgery, but I was afraid that, if I was awarded one, I would get penalized for late work anyway (as per the rules in the handbook) and that I would fall behind and never be able to catch up. However, as I found out, the college makes allowances for cases such as mine. I was able to get pulled from the course for the month with no penalty and resume the following month. I was grateful I had so much time to rest and heal. I was also grateful for the time to let my brain rest as well. As this goes on, the workload has been getting quite heavy (considering we only have four weeks, I think the workload is insane in some of the classes). I've been working so pitifully hard that a break has made major improvements in the state of my cluttered mind.

There isn't enough Xanax in the world...
Monday I have to resume class again... Granted, I've been bored out of my ever-loving mind this past month and was anxious to have something to do again. But, on the other hand, I've also enjoyed this free time to do what I want and have time for me for once. I know that, once I start class again, I'm going to be insanely busy and have no free time again. I'm really not looking forward to that... But the hard work I've been putting in has definitely been paying off. I have a 4.0 GPA, which my student liaison has been telling me is impressive. All in all, I guess the stress, anxiety and hair tearing out that I've done has been well worth it. Let's hope it continues to feel that way...

No comments:

Post a Comment